Women helping Women
27 Thornton Avenue, Saco 04072
What is Esther Residence?
A transitional program for women who are leaving incarceration and/or treatment program. Esther Residence
provides a safe, nurturing community that is based on safety, respect and dignity. It focuses on assisting each
woman in identifying and celebrating her strengths and gifts.
The home is a bridge that promotes healthy connections to family (when appropriate) and to the larger community.
Esther Residence also provides short-term housing for women who are awaiting admission to another level of
substance abuse treatment.
What are the Benefits?
- Support, encouragement and assistance in adjusting to one's new reality.
- Help in contacting community resources.
- Assistance in securing employment or schooling.
- Development of healthy leisure skills and activities.
- Safe and sober home.
- Opportunity to plan for independent living.
- Spacious private rooms.
- On the bus line.
- Duration can be up to two years.
What are the Requirements?
- Age 20 or older
- Be drug and alcohol free and submit to random testing.
- Attend support groups in the local community.
- Participate in household responsibilities.
- Live with two other residents and three staff members.
- Participate in daily reflection sessions that are non-denominational.
- Contribute financially.