GOOD SHEPHERD PARISH, SACO, MAINE
Job Description: Maintenance / Custodian
POSITION TITLE: Maintenance/Custodian – Good Shepherd Parish
STATUS: Non-Exempt REPORTS TO: Bus. Coordinator & Pastor
DATE: November 8, 2016
FULL OR PART TIME: Part Time,
Maintenance/Custodian person is familiar with building systems and facility mechanicals, light carpentry and repairs, and general handy man duties for the church, rectory, office, hall and or other parish buildings and properties. Other duties may include trash removal, general cleaning duties, snow removal, yardwork, and moving furnishings. He/she is a person of faith committed to the Gospel and whose actions help GSP fulfill its mission and purpose.
Maintenance / Grounds work include:
Custodial Duties include:
- Troubleshoot building mechanicals and assist Bus. Coordinator to evaluate vendors for performing the necessary service by seeking multiple bids and processing Diocesan approvals.
- Performs light carpentry, plumbing and various handyman repairs, as needed or as skilled.
- Monitors the building envelope ensuring doors and windows are secure; keys are secured and made available as directed by Bus. Coordinator or Pastor.
- Monitors, sets/controls thermostats for all facilities in accordance with the season.
- Monitors, inspects fire extinguisher, kitchen hood and elevator permits/license to ensure satisfactory compliance.
- Checks emergency light system batteries and exit sign functionality, monitors hallway and entryway lighting is operational and corrects problems promptly.
- Ensures common area carpets and floors are free of trip or slip hazards, and problems are addressed promptly.
- Mow lawns and rake leaves, trim shrubs as needed during the season.
- Removes snow as needed from walkways, church & rectory steps, spreads salt and sand on walkways to ensure safe premises.
- Maintain mowers, snow blowers and other machinery.
- Monitor snow and ice on roofs to prevent ice damming.
- Clean Church & Parish buildings common areas, restrooms/hallways as needed.
- Cleaning includes vacuuming carpeted areas, sweeping and mopping floors.
- Empty trashcans in public areas, reception and staff offices.
- Performs various monthly, semiannual, or annual janitorial duties and projects as directed by the Business Coordinator or Pastor, and in accordance with maintenance schedules.
- Regularly walks the grounds to pick up litter and trash on the property.
- High School Graduate or equivalent required
- Must possess necessary janitorial skills and knowledge. 3-5 years of experience preferred.
- Ability to perform outlined tasks with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with cleaning/janitorial equipment and supplies and their safe use and storage.
- Ability to work with a variety of constituents
- Computer skills preferred, (email, MS Office)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all office records which may be accessible to individual.
- Must be a member in good standing of the Catholic Church
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds from waist to overhead
- Must be able to lift 65 pounds from floor to waist
- Ability to shovel snow off walkways and steps
- Ability to push and pull on a limited basis
- Must be able to bend and twist as necessary with the tasks of vacuuming and mopping.
- Must be able to stoop
- Must be able to crouch or be on knees for short periods of time.