Good Shepherd Parish Children’s Ministry Programs share the teachings and traditions of our Catholic Faith with children from Pre-K through Grade 5. Our purpose is always to assist families along their journey of faith and help form disciples from the next generation to carry on the work of sharing the Gospel. We believe that God has created each and every child with a plan and a purpose and we will do all we can to help your family find the path God has set before each member of your family.
Our programs are Family Catechesis, which means we ask parents/guardians to attend one adult teaching & discussion session each month while their children attend grade level classes. We offer up-to-date video programs that help explain our beliefs and devotions as well as guest speakers who share their journey and love of God; these choices are aimed at helping each of us to embrace the fullness and beauty of the Catholic Faith.
Another important detail is that we co-teach with the parents/guardians, that is, we gather for classroom sessions twice each month and send materials to be completed at home twice each month. This allows families to develop a more focused faith-sharing time in their homes on a regular basis.
We ask our families to commit to four basic principles:
MASS, PRAYER, ONGOING FORMATION, & RETREATS
- First and foremost we ask every family to make it a habit to participate in weekly Mass – the greatest spiritual growth will come easily and quickly through regular reception of the Eucharist. A complete parish Mass schedule can be found at http://goodshepherdparish.us/mass-times.
- Personal prayer is vitally important for growth in both children and adults. Our very beings long to know, love, and serve our Creator and different types of prayer will fulfill this need in our daily lives. You will find suggestion for prayer habits http://goodshepherdparish.us/liturgy-prayer
- Ongoing formation refers to continued growth – both in the classroom and at home. We will make our schedule and the materials as user friendly as possible, but “formation” can only occur through a pledge of assurance from your family. Since faith formation is a lifelong process, we pray that you will continue to attend Mass and classes, along with other options offered in our parish and diocese, after your child has celebrated Confirmation and First Eucharist.
We offer grade level classes for
- Retreats are a wonderful piece of Bishop Deeley’s gift to our diocese. We have worked out our schedule to include two required retreats for sacramental prep families, as well as a retreat for Grades 3, 4, & 5. We believe that most families very much enjoy the retreat experience and look forward to continuing to provide opportunities for the children and parents to “come away and grow together.”
- Pre-K through Gr. 5 at Most Holy Trinity (Saco), Sundays, 9:45-11:00 am
- Pre-K through Gr. 5 at St. Philip (Lyman), Sundays, 10:00-11:30 am
- Gr. 1 through 5 at St. Margaret (OOB), Mondays, 4:30-5:45 pm
Registration for our programs by clicking on Family Faith Formation Registration
located at the top right hand side of this page.
For more information about our programs, schedules, or registration please contact
Michelle Philbrick at 282-4812 x115 or firstname.lastname@example.org